How To Get A Tummy Tuck Paid For By Insurance?
There are a number of beauty therapies and surgeries that will make you look different than your current self. For various parts of our body, there are various kinds of surgeries and beauty therapy procedures. But everything comes at a price. And everything that has words like “surgery,” “therapy,” and “procedure” are often costly.
Such surgeries and procedures are sometimes not covered by normal health insurance policies because they are considered Beauty Procedures that will enhance your outer look and not your bodily health. You may have to pursue separate insurance policies or pay for whichever procedures you want to be done on your body.
Here we are discussing one such procedure called Tummy Tuck. Do you know anything about it? In short, Tummy Tuck is a procedure that will enhance the look of your abdomen and waist.
So you might probably have some idea that your health insurance will not cover such procedures related to the “appearance” of your outer body. So what to do to get a tummy tuck paid for by insurance? Well, we have some ideas. Let’s talk in-depth about how you can get a tummy tuck paid for by insurance:
What exactly is a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck is also known as Abdominoplasty in medical terms. It is the surgery in which excess skin is removed from the abdomen. Along with that, some tummy tucks are also associated with tightening abdominal muscles. It will also include a slight Liposuction to even out the stomach.
Who can undergo Tummy Tuck?
Most of the time, Tummy tuck surgeries are preferred by Women and come under the cosmetic surgery category. Women who have given birth and then they have lost significant lost – their abdomen need to be tightened, and for that, Tummy Tuck is preferred. Various criteria must be considered before going for a Tummy Tuck. Also, as per specific patient, the cost of Tummy Tuck might vary.
Those who used to weigh quite excessively, and have recently lost significant pounds from their weight, might also need to have Tummy Tuck. It is because their stomach and abdomen area might be extremely.
How much does A Tummy Tuck Cost?
Most commonly, the average cost of a tummy tuck is $6000, as per the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. It covers just the surgery and nothing else. Other things associated with the tummy cost include Anesthesia charges, hospital stay charges, operating room charges, cost of medications, doctor’s appointment charges, follow-up check-ups, and more.
Furthermore, as per the qualification, experience, and other factors associated with the surgeon of your choice – a Tummy Tuck can also cost around $15,000.
How does a Tummy Tuck Work?
- Initially, you will have to find and consult a plastic surgeon who is skilled as well as experienced and nearby your location. Because if you move forward, you will have to go there a few times for checkups, post-up checks, and more.
- After consulting with the surgeon, he/ she will explain everything regarding the surgery and other associated factors, including pricing, timing, finance, risks, and more.
- If everything is done, booking your appointment for the surgery would be the second step. Before that, you will be given brief knowledge about what to do before the surgery.
- The actual surgery will be mostly performed in two phases. At first, your abdomen will be tightened through various incisions, and then excess skin will be removed – flattening it to make it lean and smooth.
- After that, you will be guided thoroughly regarding the recovery process and required medications.
- Then there will be a few follow-up appointments with the doctor to check and confirm that everything went smoothly.
Does Insurance Covers Tummy Tucks?
Most insurance won’t cover the Tummy Tuck costs as it comes under the cosmetic surgeries category. As we all know, such cosmetic surgeries are not covered by insurance unless you have a customized insurance policy.
Although, there are a few insurances that can help you finance the Tummy Tuck.
How to finance your Tummy Tuck through Insurance/ Finance?
If you go for specific insurance/ finance options, you can get to finance your tummy tuck through that. There are two ways to finance your tummy tuck, viz. Medicaid and Medicare.
To get your tummy tuck under Medicare, you must fit specific criteria. First, you will have to maintain a stable weight for about six months. After that, you should have tried other ways to tighten your abdominal muscles, and only when Tummy Tuck is the last option will Medicare get it under the covers.
Also, visit your physician regularly and prepare all the documents and reports before applying for a tummy tuck surgery. The insurance will require official reports and other relevant documents from an authorized physician.
Another way is Medicaid, which will cover only partial finance for your tummy tuck. Medicaid will work if you have lost significant weight and the excess skin from your abdomen negatively impacts your routine activities.
After examining your loosened abdomen, the surgeon will recommend the surgery, and then Medicaid will cover it for you. Moreover, before this, you will need to keep a physician by your side and maintain everything – documents, reports, weight variations, and more.
The surgeon providing documents stating any of the following reasons is also necessary for this to work:
- Extreme pain in lower back and abdomen
- Inconvenience in routine hygiene maintenance
- Panniculitis Symptoms
- Impaired Ambulation
- More than 30 Body Mass Index, i.e., BMI
- Suffering from Hernia, Lymphedema, Abscesses
- Any other condition resulting in Skin Infection
- And more.
If you need a Tummy Tuck, prepare all the necessary documents, photos, and reports. Because if you have all the supporting documents and recommendations from your physician, it will be easy for you to finance your Tummy Tuck under insurance. I hope this article helped you to learn all the essential information related to Tummy Tuck and more.